Friday, November 12, 2010

The Story Of Blind Fred In Honor Of Adopt-A-Senior-Pet Month

Since November is Adopt-A-Senior-Pet Month, we will be sharing a series of inspiring stories about people who opened their hearts and homes to extra special "mature" pooches of all shapes and sizes! Here's the heartwarming story of Fred, a blind and deaf Chinese Crested mix who was rescued not just once, but twice:

Eight years ago, a man rescued a tiny dog about six years old who was found wandering the streets of New York City. Most of his hair was gone, his leg had been broken and caused him to limp. He had a terrible scar across his nose. He was going blind and deaf and all of his teeth needed to be removed. This man took him in, named him Fred and nursed him back to health.

Fred was well-loved and cared for. His hair grew back in and I can only imagine he lived a very good life for eight years. Then, just before Thanksgiving 2009, his owner was admitted to hospice care. As a fourteen year old blind, deaf and toothless dog Fred's situation was grim.
Again, he was rescued by someone at a shelter in New York. He was transported to New Jersey by Cares4Pets of Pennsylvania and put in a foster home. His story was posted on www.petfinder.com.

Meanwhile, I was searching petfinder to see if there were still records of my parents' adopted dogs and their happy stories. I accidentally found myself reading about Fred and I started crying. It was just so unfair that he was homeless again after all he'd been through. I was not looking to adopt a dog but I couldn't get Fred out of my mind. A few weeks later, he became my baby.

Fred, who we believe is a Chinese Crested, has a new wardrobe, complete with winter coat. He loves eating, having his hair brushed, exploring his back yard and taking long naps in his new bed. He sometimes goes on short walks or out shopping. When he does, he wears his harness which has a tiny New York license plate with his name on it. This is all Fred has left from his eight years with his daddy - a man who I will never know but who I am forever grateful to for saving Fred's life.

No comments: