Sunday, September 14, 2008

And Then There Were Three

Our first dog, Greta, joined the family nearly three years ago in the fall of 2005. For years I had my heart set on a Dachshund, but I knew there had to be a better alternative to purchasing one from a breeder. After a bit of googling, I was delighted to discover a variety of Dachshund rescue groups online. While browsing the adoptable doxies on Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue, we found our girl.

Greta was estimated to be 12-years old and had been pulled out of a high kill pound in Ohio. Otherwise, her history was entirely unknown. Greta's wonderful foster family were glad to fill us in with as much info as they could offer: her love of snuggling, her preference for green beans, and her timid demeanor around strangers. After several email exchanges and phone calls, we were certain that this was the right dog for us.

Greta's foster parents generously drove her to us in Western New York on a beautiful October afternoon. I can still remember the exact moment when I first saw our petite new family member in person as I looked out the window and watched her trot up to the front door. It really was love at first sight!

No comments: